Thursday, March 29, 2012

You're a walking medical bill...

This was Lou's response to my phone call this afternoon after my MRI and doctor's visit.  I can't help but agree with the statement.  I feel as though all I've been doing these last two years is paying medical bills.  Last month, I finally made my last payment for the hospital visit two years ago for food poisoning.  That was almost $4,000 of out of pocket expenses.  Now that I'm on Lou's insurance...which is MUCH better...I'm taking care of nagging shoulder injury I've been living with for quite some time. 

I went to the Valley's highly recommended shoulder doctor last week for a consultation and found out I probably have some torn tissue in my shoulder...and that I get to blame my parents for poor design.  My should joints are too "loose".  The muscles, ligaments and tissue that hold the arm bone in the the rotator cuff are too long and allow for a lot of movement within the cuff.  SO...he scheduled me for an MRI today to find out what all is wrong.

I called my insurance company on Monday to get an estimate of costs so I wouldn't pass out when I received an outrageous bill in the mail.  I was told to expect around $700.  I showed up today to find out that she clearly had no idea what she was doing.  Today's out of pocket expense was $1,358!!!  Fortunately, they were nice and allowed me to pay half and get billed for the remainder.

The MRI was more involved...and painful than I had anticipated.  They put me on an Xray type table where they could view instant snapshots of my bones on a big screen.  Then they proceeded to shove a very large needle in to my shoulder joint so they could fill it fluid and dye.  They did this in small steps...push a little then check the screen to see where the needle was...push some more...check the screen...make an adjustment on the angle then push some more.  It went on like this for what seemed like an eternity.  I must not of looked like I was enjoying the procedure because the nice nurse asked me 5 or 6 times if I was OK.  I realized at one point that I was shaking but I couldn't tell if it was because it felt like an icebox in the room or if it were nerves.  Once the doctor fitted the needle in the perfect position, they filled the joint with fluids.  This wasn't as uncomfortable as they told me it would be...probably because I was so distraught about the process that led up to that point. 

Once they were done filling me with fluids and joking lightly about my reaction being a little better than the screaming baby in the room next door, they took me down the hall for the MRI.  This was a pleasant procedure for the most part.  They propped up my legs, gave me a pillow and a nice warm blanket that felt as if it had just come out of the dryer.  She handed me some earphones and asked which satellite radio station I wanted to listen to.  Of course I chose the 80's station because I wanted comforting music to put me in a happy place.

I closed my eyes as the table started to move.  I figured it would freak me out to watch as I went in to the tunnel.  When I stopped moving, I opened my eyes...  BAD IDEA!  I quickly closed them again and tried to drown myself in the music in the hopes of forgetting that I was instantly feeling VERY claustrophobic by the sight of the ceiling just inches from my nose...if that...and that I would be in the tube for another 30 minutes.

Eventually I relaxed so much that I fell in to a light sleep.  It was very nice and the procedure was over before I knew it.  I woke as the table started to move again...and I kept my eyes closed until it stopped moving.  There's no sense in freaking out when the worst is over.

I ran some errands and ate some lunch.  Then it was back to meet with the Orthopedic.  It turns out the cartilage around my arm bone is separated from the bone.  There is also a small cyst...which he explained was a fluid filled sac...under the muscle that probably developed because of the poor design I get to blame my parents for, and the dislodged cartilage.  He said surgery is the only way to repair it and it's up to me when to have it done.  We decided on fall because I won't be doing much in the fall other than hiking.  And I don't need to move my arms around much for that. 

I asked how much I should plan on having to save between now and then.  He said with my 80% copay, I should "ONLY" be looking at 2 to 4 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!  Clearly he is accustomed to dealing with much wealthier clients.  He was nice and gave me the number to his billing lady and said she could work some options for me to help with the cost.  He was also quick to explain the majority of the cost was not for his services but for the facility services...because our hospitals need to look like resorts now...for some reason...and we as patients...and our insurance need to help pay for these luxurious facilities.

Of course I called Lou as soon as I was back to the truck.  He asked how it went...listened patiently...then asked how much today's visit cost...silence....silence...."how much will the surgery cost?"....silence..."I need to save 2 to 4 thousand" I said..."YOU'RE A WALKING MEDICAL BILL!!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I got some hand-me-down poor design from my parents too.
    LOL. Remind Lou it's only money. What are you gonna do? Take it with you? :)
    Glad you're blogging again! Hope to see you soon. June maybe??

    ReplyDelete